Skip to main content

Matters of the Heart

I have been feeling God leading me to a new ministry opportunity lately. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that I have some heart issues to really deal with. I had some great time today to think about how I need to get my heart right, find out what is holding me back, and really just get things on a better level spiritually before I start in on my new venture.

I spent my drive to the gym in prayer. I realized on that drive that I don't feel like I fit in anywhere. Or that I belong wherever I am. Everyone else thinks I belong. Everyone but me. I feel so out of place. Like if they knew who I really am they would see how I really just am not up to par with what they're wanting. I realized how I have felt this way for all of my adult life, and through most of my teenage years. I remember back in my early youth group days thinking "I don't belong here and everyone knows it. They're just putting up with me because that is the 'Christian' thing to do." and because as an early teen I was very shy and not one of the "popular" kids, how I fit in the youth group dynamic kind of drove that thought home. Only a few select people made it their point to really welcome me and include me. Everyone else had their group, and I didn't think I fit anywhere. It's all in my head now, how I don't fit in anywhere. I do. I think that is just a thing satan uses against me to hold me back from truly serving God. And instead of fighting that mental battle, I just give in, do my thing, and just try not to look like an idiot. Before I start my journey, I have to accept that I am capable and I am accepted.

Since a little bit before Christmas I have been really slacking, or totally slacking, in my daily time with God. I had been doing devotions every morning at one point, and was really doing well. And then I started slacking off. Then I just quit. I was spiritually drying up, and I knew it. But I just couldn't break through that depression fog of "I don't care" enough to pick up my worn bible that I have had for almost 14 years. Prayer was hard and uncomfortable. I felt so disconnected from God, even though I knew He was the One holding me up. So before I start embarking on this new journey, I have to draw closer to God.



And on those notes, I have been having better and better days. Some have been good days with dark clouds here and there inside. Some have been fighting through the dark clouds, but good because I was fighting. And today, oh today. It was such a good day. Start to finish it was a great day. Even when my stubborn and defiant at the moment 3rd grader didn't want to do her writing assignment the way the teacher wanted. She wanted to do it her own way. She said "I don't care about my grades. All you care about is me getting good grades!" I explained to her that I cared about her doing her very best, and that would result in good grades. Needless to say, it was a very stressful time, but I stayed calm and patient and she finished her paper with a smile on her face. I didn't have good form on my cleans at the gym and at one point was seriously mad at the fact that I wasn't doing well. But even then it was a great day. I spent time in my kitchen with the sun shining on me through the window, writing out verses for my project, Jesus Culture playing on the computer, and feeling so full of joy I couldn't stop smiling. I feel such a deep and unsinkable joy. I feel like me more and more. I have pressed my heart towards keeping my joy no matter what.

Oh Lord, you're beautiful
Your face is all I seek
And when your eyes are on this child
Your grace abounds to me

I want to take your word and shine it all around
But first help me just to live it Lord
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown
For my reward is giving glory to you

Oh Lord, you're beautiful
Your face is all I seek
And when your eyes are on this child
Your grace abounds to me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/11

Today is a day we will never forget. We will never forget where we were, what we were doing, or the feelings brought on as we watched the news in those first few moments. We will never forget hearing President Bush, his voice full of assurance. We will never forget the stories of those lost on that day.    I was 17 years old and getting ready for my first day of work at the Mexican restaurant I still work at today. We all gathered around the TV in my brothers bedroom and watched as the tragedy played out. I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to go to the fire department I was part of and just be with the guys to watch the news. We knew what some didn't even think about. Those towers would surely fall, and our brothers in the service would continue up those stairs regardless. 343 (I also heard 347, so I'm not sure which is correct) fellow firefighters lost their lives that day. Climbing the stairs with gear, hoses, equipment. Encouraging and helping get everyone out. Thin

Tenth Avenue North - Worn

I feel like an emotional roller coaster. I feel like I'm happy one minute, and then the next something brings me to tears. I sat down to do my devotions this morning, and it seemed like everything was against me. Phone ringing, kids needing me for something, mind wandering. I finally got my peace and quiet and dove in.  I am so excited as I am starting a 90 day study on the life of Jesus. I finished one on David, and loved it. At the end of today's it asked a few questions that really made me just stop and think. What do I hope to experience at Jesus' feet? What am I bringing that needs healing? What emptiness or brokenness needs mending? Tears began to fall. What do you want to say to Him at the outset of this journey? Prayer began to pour out. Part of my heart has been dealing with the some of the feelings I had not addressed from sitting at the hospital watching Caleb slip away. Anger. Anger that God would let this all happen. Questioning. What if God isn't real

Reflections on My Year of New Things

Last year I decided it was a year of new things. New adventures. Trying new things. Well, looking back, it was. It was a great year! I'm bold and daring and a "Take the bull by the horns" kind of girl. But don't let that fool you. New things scare me. I don't like the unknown. I like knowing exactly what I'm doing and what's expected of me. New = unknown. So, while I'll jump in head first, it takes me a lot of mental prep to actually jump. W4: I was so blessed to be asked to be the water games coordinator for our VBS last year. I was very unsure of what I was getting myself into. The fun and safety of 200+ kids in the water!? I was blessed to have a great coordination team to work with in the planning stages, and God blessed me beyond belief with my water games leaders and staff. We had a fabulous week! I was one staff member short for leaders, so I was also the preschool game leader. It was crazy fun, but I had to be EXTRA loud to be heard with all