Skip to main content

4,015 Days

Ten years.

Well, in reality, we're talking more like eleven.

Ten years in the sense that ten years ago today my ex-husband walked out on me and the girls. Eleven in that there has been a lot that happened from 2004 until now.

It's a long time, but it really isn't. It seems like so long, but it seems like it flew by. A lot has happened in the past eleven years. I feel a bit overwhelmed as I sit here and think back. It has been a long, winding, and rough road. So many ups and way too many downs.

I had two kids, a marriage and divorce. I lost two brothers, which took my feet right out from under me. Got engaged, broke off said engagement. Battled depression. Got in shape and fell in love with CrossFit (It's my therapy). Raised two girls through their single digit years. Went through 2 cats, 2 turtles, are on our 3rd and 4th birds. Moved 3 times in less than 2 years, having lived at our current residence for 10 years now. Along with a variety of other things.

This was brought about when a friend of mine (also a single mom) and I were talking yesterday about the number of days we've been single. For her it is 2,827 days. For me, well, my ex-husband walked out 3,650 days ago. Ten years ago today. We have been divorced for 3,011 days. Since he was never really a part of the girls lives (they haven't seen him since they were two and three), and Courtney will be eleven in just over a month, that means I have been raising the girls on my own for 3,956 days. That's a lot of days. On Courtney's birthday (August 10th) it will be 4,015 days.

*checks math*

How have I survived eleven years of raising two kids on my own? Okay, eleven for one kid, ten for both, but still!! The weight of all the responsibilities on my shoulders and mine alone for that long?!

*stares at the screen while the number sinks in*

11 years

132 months

572 weeks

4,015 days

96,360 hours

5,781,600 minutes

346,896,000 seconds

*remembers to inhale*

My family has been a huge help. Huge is an understatement. We've had ups and downs, arguments, misunderstandings, disagreements, and bad days. But it has never stopped them from being there for me when I need them. And as a single mom, that is priceless.

My friends have done what they can. My church family as well. It's hard for them to know what to help with, especially when I'm not good at asking for help.... and at times accepting it.

*cough*bullheaded*cough*

But God is my rock. My redeemer. My fortress. My provider. My comforter. My strength. My hope. My security. My calm in the storm. My God supplies all of our needs. He holds me up when I can't stand on my own. He has been there through it all. He has opened doors, closed others. He sees me at my worst and loves me most. He knows my every flaw, yet still loves me enough to have sent His Son to die for me.

He loves me for me. Not for what I have done or what I will become. *What Love Really Means by JJ Heller* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGUKWiw7Wk

I have learned to say no. No matter how noble the cause, I can't do it all. I can't volunteer for everything. I have put my desires on hold for the good of my family. In a few short years the girls will be grown and I'll need those things to keep me busy. So I'm saving them to keep me sane when I come home to an empty house.

*panic sets in*

Let's not talk about that for another.... lot of years. LOTS OF YEARS!! I'm not going to be the parent that looks forward to the kids moving out. I'm the parent dreading it.

 *more panic*

I know it's inevitable, but I'd rather not go there yet. The hard part is, how fast the last ten years went, the next will go by faster. It makes me wish I had cherished the time with them more. That I had held them tighter. But really, I did cherish it. I did squeeze them tightly. It's just never enough. Time is precious. I know that all too well. I have my share of "I wish I had..." with my brothers. But we can only make the most of the time we're in.

I feel like the later it gets (it's almost 2am) the more all over the place I am going. But I will say, I'm kind of that way no matter what time of day it is.

I want to end this with a song that says it all.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/11

Today is a day we will never forget. We will never forget where we were, what we were doing, or the feelings brought on as we watched the news in those first few moments. We will never forget hearing President Bush, his voice full of assurance. We will never forget the stories of those lost on that day.    I was 17 years old and getting ready for my first day of work at the Mexican restaurant I still work at today. We all gathered around the TV in my brothers bedroom and watched as the tragedy played out. I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to go to the fire department I was part of and just be with the guys to watch the news. We knew what some didn't even think about. Those towers would surely fall, and our brothers in the service would continue up those stairs regardless. 343 (I also heard 347, so I'm not sure which is correct) fellow firefighters lost their lives that day. Climbing the stairs with gear, hoses, equipment. Encouraging and helping get everyone out. Thin

Tenth Avenue North - Worn

I feel like an emotional roller coaster. I feel like I'm happy one minute, and then the next something brings me to tears. I sat down to do my devotions this morning, and it seemed like everything was against me. Phone ringing, kids needing me for something, mind wandering. I finally got my peace and quiet and dove in.  I am so excited as I am starting a 90 day study on the life of Jesus. I finished one on David, and loved it. At the end of today's it asked a few questions that really made me just stop and think. What do I hope to experience at Jesus' feet? What am I bringing that needs healing? What emptiness or brokenness needs mending? Tears began to fall. What do you want to say to Him at the outset of this journey? Prayer began to pour out. Part of my heart has been dealing with the some of the feelings I had not addressed from sitting at the hospital watching Caleb slip away. Anger. Anger that God would let this all happen. Questioning. What if God isn't real

Reflections on My Year of New Things

Last year I decided it was a year of new things. New adventures. Trying new things. Well, looking back, it was. It was a great year! I'm bold and daring and a "Take the bull by the horns" kind of girl. But don't let that fool you. New things scare me. I don't like the unknown. I like knowing exactly what I'm doing and what's expected of me. New = unknown. So, while I'll jump in head first, it takes me a lot of mental prep to actually jump. W4: I was so blessed to be asked to be the water games coordinator for our VBS last year. I was very unsure of what I was getting myself into. The fun and safety of 200+ kids in the water!? I was blessed to have a great coordination team to work with in the planning stages, and God blessed me beyond belief with my water games leaders and staff. We had a fabulous week! I was one staff member short for leaders, so I was also the preschool game leader. It was crazy fun, but I had to be EXTRA loud to be heard with all