Skip to main content

Setting Goals

Most people see 30 rounding the corner and freak out. I, on the other hand, am sitting here rubbing my hands together thinking "Bring it on!". I am looking forward to my 30th birthday like a kid looks forward to Christmas.

As of Sunday, I hit the "3 months til my 30th birthday" mark. November 25th. I decided that I needed to set some goals to achieve by 30. Several different areas came into that "goal setting" place. Now I just have to decide what goals for each part of my life I need to make. Faith, family, fitness, focus, food, and home.


"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." Romans 10:17

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Faith. I have been slacking off in my spiritual life. I let being busy and other things take the place and time of reading the bible, prayer, devotions. Really growing myself as a christian has hit a stalemate. It bothers me. I need to set some spiritual goals that in turn will become habits. I also need to dedicate more time to doing devotions and scripture memorization with the girls. We memorized a lot of scripture growing up, and I want my kids to have that as well. We're doing a family class at church on Wednesday nights this quarter to grow spiritually as a family. I was on the fence about it, but really, it fits into my goal timeline and IS in fact part of this goal. I was thinking about taking a quarter off from Wednesday night church because we need to slow down a little, but not this quarter.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8



"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate." Psalm 127:3-5

Family. I need to dedicate more time to my girls. Sure, we're together most of the time, but how much of that is spent with me doing something in one room, and them off in another? This also ties into the faith goal. I want to read to them more, have them help me cook, play board games, card games, take walks, go for hikes at different new places. I want to make memories as a family together, not just "well, mom was home, but always busy with other things." memories for my kids.

"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6


" For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." 1 Timothy 4:8

Fitness. I'm not going to lie, since the end of November of last year my fitness journey hit a very big wall. My trainer passed away and then life started to get busier. The next thing I know I'm not where I was. THEN I get an infection that benches me for a month. I want to be back where I was. I want to push myself to the limit. But I don't want it to stand in the way of other things in life. Time with others, things with my kids. I need to balance and be okay with missing a few days a week. I talked to one trainer, and she said not to set goals for my inch loss or body fat percentage loss. She said set goals like running a 5k, maxing my lifting weight, rep goals. I need to sit down and figure out what those goals will be. I would like one goal to be that I lose about 3% body fat. It will mean setting goals with what I do that get me to that % loss.

" No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees." Hebrews 12:11-12



"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:12-14

Focus. It's more structure that I need more of, but I really liked the "f" theme with my goals. I want to be more structured in my daily life, which is a main part of all of my goals together. I think part of my problem is that things just stay the same. They don't change. I'm very glad we started school this week, because now there has to be an earlier bedtime, we have to get up earlier. The girls have "responsibility charts" that will help them on their end. So my goals should help me on my end. So focus is pretty much part of every goal I have.

"And the Lord answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it. For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay." Habakkuk 2:2-3




"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

Food. I love food. I love flavors. I love an ice cold pop every now and then. I really love Dove dark chocolate, Reese Cups, Almond Joy, and mint Oreo's. Moderation is key, and the key to moderation is not having it in my house! *says the woman who just bought a 6 pack of the big Reese Cups* I want to eat cleaner. Natural stuff. Not organic. Most organic stuff is only 60% organic anyways. I mean natural, grown, not man made, healthy foods. One of my favorite things for dinner is pan grilled chicken, sweet potato fries, and broccoli. YUM! And lunch, yeah, mixed greens, green onions, almonds, mandarin oranges, topped with cottage cheese. Or dried cherries and grilled chicken with balsamic dressing instead of oranges and cottage cheese. Do I always eat like this? No. I want to be more aware of what foods I'm putting into my body. I do pretty good with it since I've been working at it for so long, but I know I can step it up a notch.

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20


Home. For those of you who know my apartment, you know it's small and has little to no storage space. I am a jack of all trades, homeschooling, working single mom. I collect books. I would rather live life than worry about having a house that doesn't look lived in. We live life and love it. I want a home, not a room in an Ikea store. In a small apartment that can turn to disaster very quickly. So another goal is to maintain order in my home. It doesn't have to be perfect. It never will be. But order is nice. Purging is great! I have been working on that part of this goal all week. Getting rid of a lot. It's made chaos of things, and I'm pulling out things that have been set aside for years in totes and boxes. Time for stuff to GO!

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come." Proverbs 31:25

And on that note:

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/11

Today is a day we will never forget. We will never forget where we were, what we were doing, or the feelings brought on as we watched the news in those first few moments. We will never forget hearing President Bush, his voice full of assurance. We will never forget the stories of those lost on that day.    I was 17 years old and getting ready for my first day of work at the Mexican restaurant I still work at today. We all gathered around the TV in my brothers bedroom and watched as the tragedy played out. I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to go to the fire department I was part of and just be with the guys to watch the news. We knew what some didn't even think about. Those towers would surely fall, and our brothers in the service would continue up those stairs regardless. 343 (I also heard 347, so I'm not sure which is correct) fellow firefighters lost their lives that day. Climbing the stairs with gear, hoses, equipment. Encouraging and helping get everyone out. Thin

Reflections on My Year of New Things

Last year I decided it was a year of new things. New adventures. Trying new things. Well, looking back, it was. It was a great year! I'm bold and daring and a "Take the bull by the horns" kind of girl. But don't let that fool you. New things scare me. I don't like the unknown. I like knowing exactly what I'm doing and what's expected of me. New = unknown. So, while I'll jump in head first, it takes me a lot of mental prep to actually jump. W4: I was so blessed to be asked to be the water games coordinator for our VBS last year. I was very unsure of what I was getting myself into. The fun and safety of 200+ kids in the water!? I was blessed to have a great coordination team to work with in the planning stages, and God blessed me beyond belief with my water games leaders and staff. We had a fabulous week! I was one staff member short for leaders, so I was also the preschool game leader. It was crazy fun, but I had to be EXTRA loud to be heard with all

I Can't Stop Crying

After I put the girls to bed tonight, I turned on a Pandora station to help them fall asleep. Later on I was working on laundry in my bedroom when I heard this song come on in the living room. I stopped everything, went in, sat on the couch, and wept. Caleb really liked this guy, and we played this song at the calling hours. It's such a fitting song for where he is now. Someone told me it was like Caleb sent me that song tonight to know he's doing great in heaven. Unfortunately now I cannot stop crying. It's like it broke open the flood gates and the pain is flowing out. My heart is breaking, and I can't make it stop. I can't fix it. I can feel the ache in my heart. I keep remembering the last good visit I had with Caleb in the hospital, and how we just didn't see it coming. Bitter tears over one person's careless actions that took his life. I know, I KNOW that if it wasn't Caleb's time to go, God wouldn't have taken him home. But it still hu