Skip to main content

Unsleeping Beauty

For the past several weeks my oldest daughter, Courtney, has had a lot of trouble falling to sleep. It doesn't matter how tired she is or what I try, she cannot and will not fall asleep until after I go to bed. Sometimes even later than that. We have tried cherries, Benadryl, Melatonin, early mornings, music, night lights, stories... the list goes on. Nothing works. She comes out with bloodshot eyes crying that she can't sleep. I've tried being sympathetic, mean, loving, harsh. Still nothing works. She is going on little sleep which means she is cranky 90% of the time. This, plus homeschooling, has really been trying my patience.

My thoughts on where this all started goes back to about a month ago. The weather at night was cooling down, so I opened the windows. For some reason, Courtney ended up in my bed in the middle of the night. Around 3am a semi came through. Now, we live right on a St Rt in town. We get lots of semis coming through in the middle of the night. But on this night, well, the driver decided to use his jake brake RIGHT in front of my house. My bedroom is on the front side of the house. Windows open. We both bolted upright in bed, hearts racing, to the sound of the jake brake. I wanted to track him down and punch him in the face. It took us both a while to get back to sleep after that. Needless to say, Courtney has not slept right since, and I have no idea what to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4,015 Days

Ten years. Well, in reality, we're talking more like eleven. Ten years in the sense that ten years ago today my ex-husband walked out on me and the girls. Eleven in that there has been a lot that happened from 2004 until now. It's a long time, but it really isn't. It seems like so long, but it seems like it flew by. A lot has happened in the past eleven years. I feel a bit overwhelmed as I sit here and think back. It has been a long, winding, and rough road. So many ups and way too many downs. I had two kids, a marriage and divorce. I lost two brothers, which took my feet right out from under me. Got engaged, broke off said engagement. Battled depression. Got in shape and fell in love with CrossFit (It's my therapy). Raised two girls through their single digit years. Went through 2 cats, 2 turtles, are on our 3rd and 4th birds. Moved 3 times in less than 2 years, having lived at our current residence for 10 years now. Along with a variety of other things. This...

I Can't Stop Crying

After I put the girls to bed tonight, I turned on a Pandora station to help them fall asleep. Later on I was working on laundry in my bedroom when I heard this song come on in the living room. I stopped everything, went in, sat on the couch, and wept. Caleb really liked this guy, and we played this song at the calling hours. It's such a fitting song for where he is now. Someone told me it was like Caleb sent me that song tonight to know he's doing great in heaven. Unfortunately now I cannot stop crying. It's like it broke open the flood gates and the pain is flowing out. My heart is breaking, and I can't make it stop. I can't fix it. I can feel the ache in my heart. I keep remembering the last good visit I had with Caleb in the hospital, and how we just didn't see it coming. Bitter tears over one person's careless actions that took his life. I know, I KNOW that if it wasn't Caleb's time to go, God wouldn't have taken him home. But it still hu...

The Things that Come with Mourning

My amazing, wonderful, Godly, and dear brother Caleb died on Friday, August 9th, 2013 at 10:35am. My parents 33rd wedding anniversary and the day before Courtney's 9th birthday. My heart is crushed. I know that he is in heaven, and I am praising the Lord at this. I have peace and joy. But right now I am mourning his earthly departure. I miss him so very much. I'm straining my memory to hear his voice. I'm helping my daughters grieve. I'm watching them try to process and deal with this, and it is breaking my heart. Some things I am learning about mourning. You really just don't care about things. Like laundry. I realized I desperately need to do laundry. I also don't care. Maybe I'll do it. Maybe I'll just not. Although I REALLY need to do it. Eating is another one. Or really just remembering to eat. Or making myself eat. I forget that I'm hungry until my stomach hurts. Or I'm just not hungry at all. I made myself eat dinner last night, an...