Skip to main content

9/11

Today is a day we will never forget. We will never forget where we were, what we were doing, or the feelings brought on as we watched the news in those first few moments. We will never forget hearing President Bush, his voice full of assurance. We will never forget the stories of those lost on that day.

   I was 17 years old and getting ready for my first day of work at the Mexican restaurant I still work at today. We all gathered around the TV in my brothers bedroom and watched as the tragedy played out. I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to go to the fire department I was part of and just be with the guys to watch the news. We knew what some didn't even think about. Those towers would surely fall, and our brothers in the service would continue up those stairs regardless. 343 (I also heard 347, so I'm not sure which is correct) fellow firefighters lost their lives that day. Climbing the stairs with gear, hoses, equipment. Encouraging and helping get everyone out. Thinking in their minds not only of their job, but of their families. You don't go into a scene like that without thinking of your family. I went to work. The towers fell while I was driving. That kind of irritated me because I knew they would fall, and I wanted to watch it happen. See the historic event in full, not watch the recaps later. Customers talked about it. We took turns going back in the back to peek at the TV and see what was going on. The world was never the same again.

     I was sitting here thinking of how christians are killed every day in a majority of countries around the world, just for their faith. I was thinking of how, yes, 343 fireman died that day, thousands of innocent lives lost just for living in America, but wondering how many christians die every day JUST for professing Christ as their Savior. Then the song "God Bless the USA" came into my mind. I changed the words as I thought of how I could have been born in China or North Korea, maybe somewhere in the Middle East where being a christian is enough to get you killed. I was born in small town America, where being a christian is not going to cost you your life. "And I'm blessed to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me." I am blessed to live in this country.

     It is so strange to talk to kids, even my own, who will never remember what happened. They will only know the stories we tell them. It breaks my heart to think of the kids of those who were lost that day. They will never remember their mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, brother, or sister. My heart breaks for the events that happened that day.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." Matthew 5:4

Comments

  1. When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

    When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

    -Khalil Gibran

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on My Year of New Things

Last year I decided it was a year of new things. New adventures. Trying new things. Well, looking back, it was. It was a great year! I'm bold and daring and a "Take the bull by the horns" kind of girl. But don't let that fool you. New things scare me. I don't like the unknown. I like knowing exactly what I'm doing and what's expected of me. New = unknown. So, while I'll jump in head first, it takes me a lot of mental prep to actually jump. W4: I was so blessed to be asked to be the water games coordinator for our VBS last year. I was very unsure of what I was getting myself into. The fun and safety of 200+ kids in the water!? I was blessed to have a great coordination team to work with in the planning stages, and God blessed me beyond belief with my water games leaders and staff. We had a fabulous week! I was one staff member short for leaders, so I was also the preschool game leader. It was crazy fun, but I had to be EXTRA loud to be heard with all

I Can't Stop Crying

After I put the girls to bed tonight, I turned on a Pandora station to help them fall asleep. Later on I was working on laundry in my bedroom when I heard this song come on in the living room. I stopped everything, went in, sat on the couch, and wept. Caleb really liked this guy, and we played this song at the calling hours. It's such a fitting song for where he is now. Someone told me it was like Caleb sent me that song tonight to know he's doing great in heaven. Unfortunately now I cannot stop crying. It's like it broke open the flood gates and the pain is flowing out. My heart is breaking, and I can't make it stop. I can't fix it. I can feel the ache in my heart. I keep remembering the last good visit I had with Caleb in the hospital, and how we just didn't see it coming. Bitter tears over one person's careless actions that took his life. I know, I KNOW that if it wasn't Caleb's time to go, God wouldn't have taken him home. But it still hu