Skip to main content

But God

I’m currently sitting here trying to get started. I have an internal battle, and since this is my first post in almost 4 years, I just don’t even know how to start. What to start with. Then satan’s lie of “No one cares what you have to say” creeps in. He throws another lie “You’re not interesting enough, smart enough, or good enough to do this.” I start typing something, and he makes me doubt the validity of it “this isn’t anything important enough to write about”. I’ve been battling these lies for weeks now. Trying to put to words what is on my heart. Trying to use my life, my experiences, my thoughts on things to help maybe one person out there. Because God is leading my heart towards it. Then satan reminds me of the people in my life who have said “No one cares” to me. Who have joked at my expense about what I feel is important. Ridiculed me. Satan used their “joking” to fill my head with lies that would be a stumbling block.

But God. A good reminder in the Bible during situations is when the next verse or sentence starts out “But God”. Hey everyone, this seemed too big, too rough, too out in left field, BUT GOD. In my life, the But God happened to be certain people in my life who, without knowing my mental and spiritual battle, spoke words into my life that shut down the lies. They spoke God’s word, TRUTH into my life that really gave me the encouragement I needed. So I prayed about it. God lead me to a book that kept pounding truth into my head. Who is saying “No one cares” or “You’re not good enough”? It’s certainly not God. And who are those people to stop me from following a simple calling of typing out words and putting them out there for the world to see, or not see. I then reached out to some friends that I felt God put on my heart to help me with this journey. Three very different women with very different experiences and roles in my life. To proof read my posts. Remind me to check my heart. Honestly tell me “Um, don’t post that.” or “How about you just leave that whole thing out.” I told them my fears, my insecurities, and my heart. They spoke more truth to me, are encouraging me, and promising to help me how they can. They may read this and tell me to scrap it. Who knows? I may struggle with all the ways I’m not “enough” in different areas for this, But God is enough.

I feel like a lot of times in the church people feel called to ministry, but forget that God calls us all to be ministers. They fix their eyes on their interpretation of what that calling means, and while it may be right for some, it may be wrong for others. Our ministry may not be as a pastor, a missionary, speaker or any of the things equated to those. It may be with those we come in contact with at work. Clients, customers, coworkers, suppliers. It may be with those we come in contact with in our normal day to day life at the store, our neighborhood, our HOMES. It may be who is watching us on social media. We are called to be a light to the world around us. How we live our lives is a ministry. Our testimony shows the world what a perfect God can do in our broken lives. We open up about our struggles in life and how God has worked through them, in them, and is healing us. I think a lot of times Christians feel the need to show off how they have it all together to entice others to come to Christ, but our human nature holds us back from that perfection, and to give off a “If you become a Christian it is a worry free zone and things work out great!” is just foolish. Should we strive for it? YES! But we shouldn’t be hypocrites and deny our fleshly struggles. We share it and how the power of God helps us overcome those struggles, even if we battle them til we die.

I see this blog as a part of my ministry. I’m a single mom, chicken farmer, homebody. I have a very cliche midwestern life (by the way, how is Ohio considered Midwest? Aren’t we more like West-Eastern?). My life may not seem all that great to many. I raise chickens for goodness sake. It’s not glorious, it’s not highly profitable, it’s dirty, solitary, and to many, it’s just gross. My ministry is my kids, teaching children’s church, the people around me, and social media/blogging. I may not make a big splash when it comes to what I do, I mean, other than the fact that I’m part of the less than 2% of Americans feeding 100% of America. Seriously, thank a farmer, and stop listening to people and marketing tactics of those who have NEVER SET FOOT ON OR WORKED ON A WORKING FARM. *Throws soapbox back in the corner* But God can use me in ways greater than I could even dream if I just open myself up to what I feel He is calling me to do. I will always have naysayers and ridicule. I will always face opposition. But that should never get in God’s way in our lives. Is God calling you to something? What lies is satan filling your head with to keep you from doing it? If satan is trying to stop you, what amazing thing are you about to do for Christ?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/11

Today is a day we will never forget. We will never forget where we were, what we were doing, or the feelings brought on as we watched the news in those first few moments. We will never forget hearing President Bush, his voice full of assurance. We will never forget the stories of those lost on that day.    I was 17 years old and getting ready for my first day of work at the Mexican restaurant I still work at today. We all gathered around the TV in my brothers bedroom and watched as the tragedy played out. I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to go to the fire department I was part of and just be with the guys to watch the news. We knew what some didn't even think about. Those towers would surely fall, and our brothers in the service would continue up those stairs regardless. 343 (I also heard 347, so I'm not sure which is correct) fellow firefighters lost their lives that day. Climbing the stairs with gear, hoses, equipment. Encouraging and helping get everyone out. Thin

Tenth Avenue North - Worn

I feel like an emotional roller coaster. I feel like I'm happy one minute, and then the next something brings me to tears. I sat down to do my devotions this morning, and it seemed like everything was against me. Phone ringing, kids needing me for something, mind wandering. I finally got my peace and quiet and dove in.  I am so excited as I am starting a 90 day study on the life of Jesus. I finished one on David, and loved it. At the end of today's it asked a few questions that really made me just stop and think. What do I hope to experience at Jesus' feet? What am I bringing that needs healing? What emptiness or brokenness needs mending? Tears began to fall. What do you want to say to Him at the outset of this journey? Prayer began to pour out. Part of my heart has been dealing with the some of the feelings I had not addressed from sitting at the hospital watching Caleb slip away. Anger. Anger that God would let this all happen. Questioning. What if God isn't real

Reflections on My Year of New Things

Last year I decided it was a year of new things. New adventures. Trying new things. Well, looking back, it was. It was a great year! I'm bold and daring and a "Take the bull by the horns" kind of girl. But don't let that fool you. New things scare me. I don't like the unknown. I like knowing exactly what I'm doing and what's expected of me. New = unknown. So, while I'll jump in head first, it takes me a lot of mental prep to actually jump. W4: I was so blessed to be asked to be the water games coordinator for our VBS last year. I was very unsure of what I was getting myself into. The fun and safety of 200+ kids in the water!? I was blessed to have a great coordination team to work with in the planning stages, and God blessed me beyond belief with my water games leaders and staff. We had a fabulous week! I was one staff member short for leaders, so I was also the preschool game leader. It was crazy fun, but I had to be EXTRA loud to be heard with all