Skip to main content

One Year

365 days. 52 weeks. 12 months. One year. We have made it through a year of firsts. First holidays. First birthdays. First annual picnics, first year of the fair, first wedding. Now we go through the first anniversary of Caleb's death. I'm surprised that the past two days have not been as full of dread as I imagined. The stress of the impending emotions had me with a severe headache at work tonight.

I have a great wish. I wish that someone could sketch a picture from my memory. It's a sad picture. Me, sitting on the foot of Caleb's hospital bed. Holding his foot and rubbing it gently with my hand. Looking at the different machines telling his vitals. Looking at him. That picture would be a picture of my breaking point. The memory is burnt clear in my mind. Not knowing what to say to him, not being able to say much beyond "I love you." and "The girls love you." and "It's okay to let go now. You've been strong long enough." Hearing voices behind me, texting friends of Caleb's to let them know what was going on. Feeling anger and hurt.

This has been the hardest year of my life. Harder than when my husband left me pregnant and alone with a nearly one year old? Yes, harder than that year. My kids were effected greatly by how I was doing this past year. They reflected my deep sorrow and anger. I had to get myself focused and on track for them if anything. And I did.

I have had many times where I wanted to call Caleb and tell him something. It hurts. His favorite cake is Cherry Chip, and it's been hard to find for years. While letting Courtney pick out her birthday cake mix last week, I found a box of cherry chip cake mix. I bought it. I was very sad the rest of our shopping trip. Now, I personally greatly dislike cherry chip cake, and have no idea what I will do with said box of cake mix. But I had to buy it. I see funny Star Wars memes on Pinterest quite often. I would love to show him, but I can't. I want so badly to hear what his reaction to Lebron James return to Cleveland would be.

Here I sit, when I should be in bed, remembering things from this day so vividly. The call from mom before 4am saying to come down. That his heart was failing. I remember my friend Candace praying with me at her front door when I dropped the girls off, both of us in tears. Calling my friend Stephanie so someone would keep me sane driving on 71 in the wee hours of the morning. I remember feeling panic inside. I remember being so afraid of what I was heading towards. I knew he was going to heaven, I knew he would be where he wanted to be. But I was afraid of life without him. My big brother. Always there. He was a strong and amazing man. A strong man after God's heart. So eager to know more about the bible, about God's plan. A great writer. An amazing uncle.

I have a playlist of songs that comfort me. Mostly worship songs. Worn by Tenth Avenue North. Lord, I Need You by Matt Maher. 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman. Hurricane by Natalie Grant.
At first I saw the song Worn from Caleb's perspective only. But when I was at my lowest, I pictured myself at the foot of Caleb's hospital bed in those last hours, and realized that song was me right then and there. That the song was my heart from those moments before he died, even until now.

Worn
Tenth Avenue North

I’m Tired I’m worn
My heart is heavy
From the work it takes
To keep on breathing
I’ve made mistakes
I’ve let my hope fail
My soul feels crushed
By the weight of this world

And I know that you can give me rest
So I cry out with all that I have left

Let me see redemption win
Let me know the struggle ends
That you can mend a heart
That’s frail and torn
I wanna know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that’s dead inside can be reborn
Cause I’m worn

I know I need to lift my eyes up
But I'm too weak
Life just won’t let up
And I know that you can give me rest
So I cry out with all that I have left

Let me see redemption win
Let me know the struggle ends
That you can mend a heart
That’s frail and torn
I wanna know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that’s dead inside can be reborn
Cause I’m worn

My prayers are wearing thin
Yeah, I’m worn
Even before the day begins
Yeah, I’m worn
I’ve lost my will to fight
I’m worn
So, heaven come and flood my eyes

Let me see redemption win
Let me know the struggle ends
That you can mend a heart
That’s frail and torn
I wanna know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that’s dead inside can be reborn
Cause all that’s dead inside will be reborn

Though I’m worn
Yeah I’m worn

I'm sure I will write another entry at the end of today. But this is my entry for beginning. Today is August 9th, 2014. My parents 34th anniversary. The day before my daughter Courtney's 10th birthday. And the day that ends the first year without Caleb. 

"So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while." 1 Peter 1:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/11

Today is a day we will never forget. We will never forget where we were, what we were doing, or the feelings brought on as we watched the news in those first few moments. We will never forget hearing President Bush, his voice full of assurance. We will never forget the stories of those lost on that day.    I was 17 years old and getting ready for my first day of work at the Mexican restaurant I still work at today. We all gathered around the TV in my brothers bedroom and watched as the tragedy played out. I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to go to the fire department I was part of and just be with the guys to watch the news. We knew what some didn't even think about. Those towers would surely fall, and our brothers in the service would continue up those stairs regardless. 343 (I also heard 347, so I'm not sure which is correct) fellow firefighters lost their lives that day. Climbing the stairs with gear, hoses, equipment. Encouraging and helping get everyone out. Thin

Tenth Avenue North - Worn

I feel like an emotional roller coaster. I feel like I'm happy one minute, and then the next something brings me to tears. I sat down to do my devotions this morning, and it seemed like everything was against me. Phone ringing, kids needing me for something, mind wandering. I finally got my peace and quiet and dove in.  I am so excited as I am starting a 90 day study on the life of Jesus. I finished one on David, and loved it. At the end of today's it asked a few questions that really made me just stop and think. What do I hope to experience at Jesus' feet? What am I bringing that needs healing? What emptiness or brokenness needs mending? Tears began to fall. What do you want to say to Him at the outset of this journey? Prayer began to pour out. Part of my heart has been dealing with the some of the feelings I had not addressed from sitting at the hospital watching Caleb slip away. Anger. Anger that God would let this all happen. Questioning. What if God isn't real

Reflections on My Year of New Things

Last year I decided it was a year of new things. New adventures. Trying new things. Well, looking back, it was. It was a great year! I'm bold and daring and a "Take the bull by the horns" kind of girl. But don't let that fool you. New things scare me. I don't like the unknown. I like knowing exactly what I'm doing and what's expected of me. New = unknown. So, while I'll jump in head first, it takes me a lot of mental prep to actually jump. W4: I was so blessed to be asked to be the water games coordinator for our VBS last year. I was very unsure of what I was getting myself into. The fun and safety of 200+ kids in the water!? I was blessed to have a great coordination team to work with in the planning stages, and God blessed me beyond belief with my water games leaders and staff. We had a fabulous week! I was one staff member short for leaders, so I was also the preschool game leader. It was crazy fun, but I had to be EXTRA loud to be heard with all