Skip to main content

The MDA Telethon

Every year we watch the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon. This is not a small tradition out of lack of anything better to do. This is a part of our daily lives. Four of my five brothers were born with Deuchennes Muscular Dystrophy. They were diagnosed in 1990 and were given a life expectancy of mid teens. Caleb, the oldest, was about 8 at the time, Chad was around 4 and Josh was 1, Davey was born in 1994. Jerry Lewis' Labor Day Telethon took on a whole new meaning to our family. I was only 6, and don't remember much beyond some doctors appointments in Columbus. Caleb is now only months from turning 30, Chad would have just turned 25, Josh is 22, and Davey is 17. We have been blessed with great doctors, medication for their heart function, and people all across the country praying for our family.
 Chad passed away in February 2004 at the age of 17. I was pregnant with Courtney at the time. Neither she or Jenna ever got to meet him. I try my very best to make up for that in telling them stories and showing them pictures. They tell me all the time how much they miss their Uncle Chad.
 This year, Jerry Lewis was not a part of the Telethon. He retired. They also cut the 21 hour program to a 6 hour program. It used to last from Sunday evening to Monday late afternoon. This year it was Sunday from 6pm to 12am. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in that.
 Every year, I cry a little when I watch it. Usually I'm at my parents, and just hide my few trickles of tears. This year, I was sitting on my livingroom floor, editing pictures from a photo shoot earlier in the day. I had forgotten that I actually get the channel now, and so I didn't turn it on until 11:30. It was almost over. I cried for the entire 30 minutes that I had it on. Never before has it effected me the way it did tonight. And I had no specific reason to cry more this year than any other. All I could think was "Why am I crying like this? I hope I don't wake the girls up. I wish I had a husband here to hold me." I'm not very vulnerable with a lot of people when it comes to crying. Sometimes, very rarely, I am. But usually I just don't want anyone to see me cry and worry about me. I'm fine. Really. I am. It's something I really wish I had a strong man around for. Someone I won't have to be strong for always, someone who will be strong for me. Tonight was one of those nights.
 I don't know why I felt like sharing this. I just know that I did.
We have faced many trials. We have fought, and are still fighting, many earthly battles. We know that God has used our family, and will continue to use our family, in mighty ways. We couldn't have survived this as a fully intact family without God on our side. Praise Him from whom all blessings flow.

Front Row: Davey 17, Jenna 5, Caleb 29, Courtney 6, Joshua 22
Back Row: Me 27, Wyatt 13, Dad old, Mom almost as old,
Danielle 19.
Chad around 2002
about 16 years old
Here is a link to Jerry Lewis finishing out the 2008 MDA Telethon. He sang this every year to his kids. Jerry's Kids. Living their lives with muscular dystrophy. http://youtu.be/Fn-bXSlPlMo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4,015 Days

Ten years. Well, in reality, we're talking more like eleven. Ten years in the sense that ten years ago today my ex-husband walked out on me and the girls. Eleven in that there has been a lot that happened from 2004 until now. It's a long time, but it really isn't. It seems like so long, but it seems like it flew by. A lot has happened in the past eleven years. I feel a bit overwhelmed as I sit here and think back. It has been a long, winding, and rough road. So many ups and way too many downs. I had two kids, a marriage and divorce. I lost two brothers, which took my feet right out from under me. Got engaged, broke off said engagement. Battled depression. Got in shape and fell in love with CrossFit (It's my therapy). Raised two girls through their single digit years. Went through 2 cats, 2 turtles, are on our 3rd and 4th birds. Moved 3 times in less than 2 years, having lived at our current residence for 10 years now. Along with a variety of other things. This...

I Can't Stop Crying

After I put the girls to bed tonight, I turned on a Pandora station to help them fall asleep. Later on I was working on laundry in my bedroom when I heard this song come on in the living room. I stopped everything, went in, sat on the couch, and wept. Caleb really liked this guy, and we played this song at the calling hours. It's such a fitting song for where he is now. Someone told me it was like Caleb sent me that song tonight to know he's doing great in heaven. Unfortunately now I cannot stop crying. It's like it broke open the flood gates and the pain is flowing out. My heart is breaking, and I can't make it stop. I can't fix it. I can feel the ache in my heart. I keep remembering the last good visit I had with Caleb in the hospital, and how we just didn't see it coming. Bitter tears over one person's careless actions that took his life. I know, I KNOW that if it wasn't Caleb's time to go, God wouldn't have taken him home. But it still hu...

The Things that Come with Mourning

My amazing, wonderful, Godly, and dear brother Caleb died on Friday, August 9th, 2013 at 10:35am. My parents 33rd wedding anniversary and the day before Courtney's 9th birthday. My heart is crushed. I know that he is in heaven, and I am praising the Lord at this. I have peace and joy. But right now I am mourning his earthly departure. I miss him so very much. I'm straining my memory to hear his voice. I'm helping my daughters grieve. I'm watching them try to process and deal with this, and it is breaking my heart. Some things I am learning about mourning. You really just don't care about things. Like laundry. I realized I desperately need to do laundry. I also don't care. Maybe I'll do it. Maybe I'll just not. Although I REALLY need to do it. Eating is another one. Or really just remembering to eat. Or making myself eat. I forget that I'm hungry until my stomach hurts. Or I'm just not hungry at all. I made myself eat dinner last night, an...